Evacuation Alerts by Mendocino County Sheriff & Office of Emergency Services
Evacuation alerts are given by the Mendocino County Sheriff Office by registering for the MendoAlerts system (voice, text and email) and the Nixle system (text only). It is vital that all residents sign up for both of these notification systems. To register for MendoAlerts go to www.mendocinocounty.org/government/executive-office/office-of-emergency-services/emergency-notifications-and-alerts Register for Nixle on a cell phone by texting 95490 to 888777 or online at www.nixle.com. Hi-low tone vehicle sirens are another form of evacuation alerts – means “evacuation order” – leave now! Various other alert systems, including sirens and fire webcams, are under consideration by Mendocino County and Fire Departments. All family members should become familiar with the different types of evacuation notices and communication options prior to an emergency.
It is Important That Individuals are Familiar With the Following Terms:
EVACUATION WARNING –
Fire is expected to arrive in 2 hours or more, with threat to civilian life. Evacuate as soon as possible. A short delay to gather your evacuation kit and prepare your home (see Evacuation Checklist) may be ok.
EVACUATION ORDER –
Fire is expected to arrive in less than 1 hour, with threat to civilian life. Evacuate immediately, do not delay to gather belongs or prepare your home.
SHELTER IN PLACE –
Community members should stay secured in current location. Sheltering in place may be used when evacuation would be a greater threat to life.
The following Face Book pages frequently post fire and other safety related incidents. You do not need to be a member of Face Book to access these links.
CONFIRM INCIDENT —Cal Fire Public Information Line- 707-574-8261;
GETTING INCIDENT NOTIFICATIONS & INFORMATION
– Mendo Alerts – calls to phones – register ALL phones
Mendocino Sheriff Nixle System -Text to cell phones and emails & online updates
or text 888777 to 95490 for local or MendoAlert for county
Sherwood Firewise Safety Net – https://www.sherwoodfirewise.org/?page_id=534
FINDING ONGOING INCIDENT INFORMATION – requires computer or cell phone, internet,
o Cal Fire Map- http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents
o Mendocino Sheriff – http://www.mendocinosheriff.com/
FACEBOOK – FROM GOVERNMENT AND OTHER RESOURCES
• Cal Fire Local – https://www.facebook.com/CALFIREMEU
• Cal Fire State – https://www.facebook.com/CALFIRE
• Mendocino Sheriff https://www.facebook.com/MendocinoSheriff/
• Brooktrails Fire https://www.facebook.com/BrooktrailsFire/
• Sherwood Firewise Communities – https://www.facebook.com/sherwoodfirewise
• Booktrails Community Page – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1765261580221859
OTHER INFORMATION RESOURCES
• Fire Weather – https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fire2/cafw/
• Smoke & Air Quality – http://airnow.gov
• Wind Speed and Direction https://www.windy.com/
• PG&E Outages – https://m.pge.com/#outages
• ID any plane flying overhead https://www.flightradar24.com/39.33,-123.22/10
• Mile marker – https://postmile.dot.ca.gov/PMQT/PostmileQueryTool.html?
• Frequencies – https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=205#cid-14686
• Cal Fire “Ready for Wildfire” – www.readyforwildfire.org
• Sherwood Firewise https://www.sherwoodfirewise.org/